Thursday, August 4, 2011

River Tooth

           I laid there in my bed breathing deeply, "in and out, in and out, in and out", i thought to myself. Counting to ten as the breaths that once were shortened lengthened out, into long strides of air seeping through my lips. I tried to forget the arguments and disagreements that were said among my mom and i earlier. All i could fathom was the aching feeling of waking up in 3 more hours for bitter sweet work. Sinking slowly into my soft bed i could feel my muscles relaxing into jello. Sleep, sleep, sleep, i softly whispered to my mind. 
Suddenly I was awakened by an alarming obnoxious sound, vibrating through my ears. I turned slowly to look at my phone that had gone off at 2:30 am. All I could think of was, why am i waking up at 2:30 a.m.? I hit the snooze button, or what looked like the snooze button, and fell back into a deep slumber. It felt as though 3 minutes later, my alarm went off again. I turned to my phone confused to see daylight running through my blinds, and saw the clock said 7:30 a.m. and 4 missed calls. Taking a minute to register, i whipped out of bed realizing i had already missed 4 hours of work-seeing i work from 3 a.m. to 1 p.m. My heart began to race, and my lungs began to tighten. I panicked, right then and there. I rushed around my room, back and forth, not knowing what to do. First thought that came to my mind was anger on why my mother didn't wake me up before she left for work. I burst into tears, and quickly threw on a t-shirt and jeans. Running out the door, I threw myself in my car. Although what would have been the smart thing to do, I drove the opposite direction from work. 
Tears streaming down my face, i felt the sense of my lungs and muscles tightening up. Seeing through my fuzzy eyes, I ran off into a dirt path 15 minutes outside of my town. I stopped the car but still gripped the handle. My breaths began to shorten quickly and i felt my lungs caving in. My mind became fuzzy and all i could see were black and blue dots appearing through my vision. I was alone, and i had no one there to calm me down. I picked up my phone, and tried to call my sister, but the phone rang and rang. I wasn't far off from where she lived, but i wasn't close enough that i could drive over without an accident. I knew the best thing i could do was to stay. I felt my hands beginning to shake and my heart aching. This had never happened to me before. I have never missed a day of work, nor have i had a reaction like this. Thoughts streamed through my mind, but i couldn't make sense of any of them. Three short breaths turned into two then one, and i felt my heart skip a couple beats. Was i having a heart attack, because it sure felt like that. I began to feel light headed, and right before i hit the steering wheel, i saw a blue car pull up and the fuzzy image of a tall, slim, woman with short silver hair run to my side of the car. The faint voice ran through my ears, and the soft touch electrified my skin, as this lady pulled me out of the car. She embraced me, and i felt as though we were really close, as if she was my sister. I whimpered for help, signing i couldn't breathe. She sat me down in her arms and began to speak softly to my ears repeating the words, "breathe deeply sis, in and out, in and out, in and out".
(C)

No comments:

Post a Comment